Monday, May 14, 2012

Ombre Cakes

I decided to try my hand at making some little cakes that I can keep in the freezer and just pull out when we want a quick dessert with dinner. I got out my tin cans again and decided to try ombre cakes. I used a yellow cake mix and split the batter into three bowls.


 I think they look so cute on these cupcake plates that I made out of candlesticks and saucers. I wanted pink, but the yellow cake mix makes it look orange. I used about 6 drops of red food coloring in the first bowl, 4 in the next bowl and 2 in the last bowl. Each can was greased and I put each color into a separate can. I filled them only half way and baked them at 350. for about 30 minutes. 

 
After they cooled I got them out of the cans and sliced them. I made butter cream frosting, and alternated the dark color then frosting the lighter color then frosting and then the lightest on top. 



They turned out cute and very yummy. I wrapped the rest and put them in the freezer.
 I think next time I might make each layer a little bit different in color so that you can see it better. 
We had one from out of the freezer last night for a late night snack and it was really good and tasted really fresh.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my followers. Questions, or comments are always welcome.