Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Finished My Little Chair Project

Remember my little chair project? Well I ran into a few problems when it came to putting in a new seat. I did figure things out and I am here to tell you that it is finally finished. 




This is the $10. chair that I started out with. 
You can see the whole project here and see the painting technique that I used. I just wanted to show you the final steps of finishing the chair.


I tried to put webbing underneath the bottom of the chair but could not get it taut. I marked a half inch from the cane holes, I marked completely around the outside of the chair seat area. 


I stapled the webbing on the top and then trimmed inside my pencil lines to keep track of the shape of the seat that I wanted to put in.


This came out pretty tight this way and I decided to also stretch a piece of drop cloth on the top of the webbing to give it more strength and to hold my cushion material.


Here is a scrap of drop cloth with a seam it won't show so I think it might even add a little strength. I stapled it on within my pencil marks again.


Here is the trimmed seat area.


I used this soft cotton batting it is not real thick but I like how it feels when it is done. I used 5 layers of this batting cut in the shape of the seat. I got this at Jo Ann fabric for 40% off.


I put the batting on and then stapled a piece of drop cloth over the batting all around the edge being careful to follow the pencil lines that I put on the chair to keep track of the shape that I wanted.


I didn't want the seat to be real thick, I wanted to trim it out and do a stencil on the seat.


I went around the edge with a glue gun and attached the white braided trim. It looks really neat and clean and covers all of the staples.


It looks really pretty with the dark areas showing from the paint technique that I used.


I decided to use this stencil since I am queen and love the look of this one. I bought several markers at a quilt shop that are fine tip on one end and medium tip on the other end. They are markers for fabric and won't come off. I wanted something that would be permanent.




 I sat down with the chair in between the couch and the coffee table so that it could not move. I just laid the stencil on and was careful as I marked around the cut outs of the stencil. I think it came out really nice. I can't believe I finally got it done.




Such a cute little chair, I love the double cane on the back it is so unique.

Cindy








17 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!!
    Wow your talent knows no bounds does it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! turned out beautiful! i have a party tues-thurs, i would love for you to share this.

    http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely LOVE it ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy Love the chair I tell you, You have such great talent...

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great! I bet it took a slow, steady hand to to that stenciling and not flub up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy! I love this chair! Gorgeous.
    Just stopped by to let you know that I have featured you and your Ruffle Back Chair on my blog! You can see the post here:

    http://kirstygirl7.blogspot.com/2011/03/linky-party-government-cottage.html

    Hope that's ok and you like the feature! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this chair! I agree that the double cane back makes it extra special. And that was a great idea to replace the old cane seat area with your upholstered cushion instead of covering the whole seat the way the previous owners did.

    I'm your newest follower and fan! Amazing job!

    Emily
    http://lovelybeasts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chair. I think you are the queen of chairs. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I love this style chair as I have similar. You inspire me to do a course in upholstering. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo Lala I am loving it. Tres Chic
    I am your newest follower I hope you can pop on by my blog and have a peak. I am currently featuring a shabby chic home in Montreal, Quebec.
    Au revoir
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these chairs! So elegant...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I LOVE chairs too:) I can't wait to see what else you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. Visiting from Faded Charm!


    Bisous,

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous chair and only $10. Wow. Thanks so much for popping by. Maybe I have all the handles upside down. Who knows. When we bought this chest they were like that. Would love for you to join my wow us Wednesdays party some time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chair is gorgeous!! I love the stencil detail...beautiful.

    Thanks for stopping by FFL!

    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this chair! I have a chair - my $5 find! - that I don't know what to do with and may try something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers. Questions, or comments are always welcome.