Thursday, February 17, 2011

Welcome sign of the Pineapple

  I found this brass pineapple the other day, while out thrifting. It was $6.00 which I thought was too much, but when I took it to the cashier it was half price. Three dollars is much better. 



Then I decided that I wanted to paint it but not one solid color. We have used a lot of aqua and pale greens here at the beach house, so I started with white primer and got it into all the grooves of the piece.




After that I used a paper towel to wipe it off. I did this one section at a time.


This is what it looks like after the white is done. I didn't want much of the brass to show, I decided that a pale green would be good kind of a tarnished look, or oxidized look. I took my brush with the paint and dried it off and brushed over the piece. 


It still was not quite the look that I was going for, I took a piece of sand paper and went over the letters and the detail of the top of the pineapple to bring out some of the lines. 


Here it is on the wall I love how it turned out. This is a very traditional welcome type sign, I love the pineapple and its tradition in history, as a welcome of good cheer and affection in our home.

A little history below.

The pineapple has served as a symbol of hospitality and warm welcome through the history of the Americas. Christopher Columbus wrote the first account of a western encounter with the pineapple in the journal of his second discovery voyage across the Atlantic. 
In 1493, Columbus first brought the pineapple back to Renaissance Europe that was largely devoid of sweet foods, including fresh fruit. The pineapple's exotic nature and sweetness soon made it an item that soon acquired both popularity and curiosity for centuries after its European arrival.  In the 1600s, King Charles posed for an official portrait while receiving a pineapple as a gift.

By the Gilded Age,  through the present day, the pineapple became a familiar symbolic image of welcome, good cheer, and warmth and affection between all who dwell inside the home.

Cindy

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, I think you need to come up and help me do a few things LOL... you do amazing work..

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy I am digging the patina look...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea.a I have an old brass door knocker that I've been wondering what to do with. This is the perfect idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers. Questions, or comments are always welcome.