Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Not just for Christmas

I bought a bunch of bottle brush trees right before Christmas.  I found a few at a drug store and I robbed a few displays with the help of the staff at Sears. The houses in the displays were all gone and they were taking all the decorations down. I asked, "can I buy these trees"? The lady discounted them and I took them all. Since I had a bunch of bottle brush tree's I thought  I should go ahead and bleach them.



These are how they look when you start. I don't really like the green color and I love to use them around the house. I am actually thinking some time I might change the base to little wood slices. I think it would be cute with the bark still on.


These were really small so I just did them with a bowl. I put half water and half bleach. It does not take too long but some trees take longer than others. 


This is after a few minutes and you can see the bleach stripping the color.


These didn't take long at all. They actually lighten up even more when they dry. I try to rinse them out really good with clean water and try and get all the bleach off of them. 


This little one actually has some of the wire showing and I love it.
Quite a difference in the look of these trees.


Here they are all finished,  I love how they turned out.


They look so sweet on my window sill in the kitchen.


I think this project turned out great. I can use these all year round and I just love them.

Cindy

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, what a great idea! They look so cute! You could even decorate them up for Valentine's or Easter. I wish I'd picked some up at the after Xmas clearance sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I've said it before and I'll say it again you have one creative mind... these are so cute hope your week is going great..

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm buying the green trees next Christmas and bleaching them. I don't like the green either. Man, you're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, I have some trees and they will see bleach next year! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the lovely comment on my blog! I love your idea about bleaching the trees! I never would have thought of that :-) Great idea and I am enjoying exploring around your blog. Thanks again :-) Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, I think your trees look really great! Very nice job, and definitely can be used anytime of the year!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these little trees bleached out. I think I will have to get some and do this to them for next year! I'm enjoying reading your past posts! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers. Questions, or comments are always welcome.