Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Plastic Plaques for the Guest Room Oh My!!

These are some plastic plaques that I found at the thrift shop for $1.99. I thought I could do something with them and love the curly aspect of them. Here is the before. I don't really like the copper look with the black paint on it. I am sure it would look great some where.




I went to my daughters yesterday to be with my grandson's while she worked and took this little project along.  My grandson Ethen was playing a game on the computer and since he can't read I would do that part of the game for him. He really does quite well other than that. I sat next to him and painted on my little plaques.


I used gesso so that I would get a little texture and these would look kind of like plaster.


I painted the frame first,  then I painted the round putty colored area and then wiped off the paint leaving white paint in all of the cracks and background areas. I like the white to look a little shabby on the frame, so I paint it white and then when it is dry, I dry brush another coat just on the top of the relief.



I like this look and it will look great on either side of my bed in the guest room. Who knew plastic could be so pretty.


Here is a picture of one that is finished against what I started out with. Some difference.


 Here they are both finished, now I need to hunt for the summer and fall from this set. I think this must be spring and winter. For more craft ideas check out Apron Thrift Girl.

cindy

2 comments:

  1. You did really good on your redo.

    I love the new look and such a deal $1.99.It is so much fun to redo things like you do.

    I found you over on another blog? and wanted to say Hi

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I love the sparkly fruit too..it's so elegant, but festive at the same time! :)
    I like the re-do you did on the plaques..they don't look plastic now at all! Love stuff like that!
    Looks like you did great thrifting too...cute pink pyrex..my kitchen is pink, so I'm kinda partial to that stuff. :)
    Hope you have a great week and Merry Christmas!
    Hugs
    missy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my followers. Questions, or comments are always welcome.